JOB TITLE: Music Director/D.J.
REPORTS TO: Radio Station Manager
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Salary / Exempt
The Music Director will be responsible for crafting the sound of the music on KTBG, the new music station from KCPT. This position will select music for airplay, manage our music library, and maintain our contacts with record labels and the music industry. The position will also be involved in many tasks supporting the broadcast and non-broadcast activities of KTBG, and along with the Program Director will be responsible for helping craft the sound of the station. This position will also serve as an on air host.
- Manage the music content for the station by helping to create and oversee daily music rotations and reviews, including working to set up recording sessions and live broadcasts.
- As part of the KTBG team, collaborates on various decisions regarding programming.
- Schedules daily music logs.
- Serve as primary contact for artists and national bands seeking airplay on the station
- Create compilation discs for membership premiums or other purposes as required
- Network with music directors in public radio stations across the country with goals comparable to KTBG.
- Run weekly music meetings – prepare materials, organize music listening, and network with industry to be knowledgeable on trends and developments.
- Collaborate on efforts to support the local music community.
- Act as an on-air host with the ability to voice track.
- Assist in creating and organizing station events and remote broadcasts.
- Assist in scheduling of sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (An equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three years experience in radio or music industry
- Work direction experience is required – must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
- Must have on-air experience.
- Must be a team player, inquisitive, detail oriented, and self-disciplined.
- In depth knowledge of the music heard on KTBG and a strong sense of the music direction the station seeks to create and maintain.
- Familiarity with current radio trends, audience research, and music programming software.
- Comprehensive understanding of the art and craft of radio, especially music radio programming and its needs.
- Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop talent
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead the staff.
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook and other pc based software
- Must be self-motivated and a self-starter.
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality in an information-rich environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Able to work effectively and collaboratively with the KTBG team and other KCPT staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Passion for local public service and community involvement;
- Ability to embody and reflect the values of KTBG/KCPT.
- Knowledge of digital audio editing software is a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include in your cover letter how you found out about this position. KCPT is an E-Verify, Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.