Entrepreneurship reporter Kyle Geary brings you a curated reading list about things related to entrepreneurship and business every Monday.
1. Lane4 Property Group and Kroenke Group of Columbia purchase vacant shopping centers in Overland Park — Kansas City Business Journal
Lane4 Property Group and Kroenke Group of Columbia have come together to purchase two large, though mostly vacant, properties in Overland Park. The pair have acquired Metcalf South Mall as well as the 95 West Shopping center. According to the Kansas City Business Journal, while these two plots are essentially vacant, they are still considered to be prime properties.
2. Buspreneurs take the Startup Bus down to Texas for startup competition — The Hale Center For Journalism
Buspreneurs on the midwest startup bus head to Texas in a startup competition. Hale Center for Journalism reporter Caitlin Cress is live blogging her experience on the three-day trip ending at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas. Follow Caitlin’s trip here.
3. UMKC appoints new dean to Bloch School — Kansas City Business Journal
UMKC appointed a new dean to the Bloch School. David Donnelly was selected to fill the role previously held by Teng-Kee Tan at the Henry W. Bloch School of Management. He assumed responsibilities of “acting dean” last May due to health concerns of his predecessor.
4. Liquor store owners push against KS bill to sell alcohol in grocery stores — Lawrence Journal – World
Many Kansas liquor store owners are against house bill 2556 which would allow liquor to be sold in grocery stores. Kansas has very strict alcohol laws that dictates what types of alcohol may be sold, and where they can be purchased.
5. UMKC Students win area CFA institute Research Challenge — Kansas City Star
A three-student team representing the Bloch school of management has won the area CFA Institute Research Challenge, and will compete at the regional level in Denver later this month. The challenge’s purpose is to help promote better research practices, and places teams in front of a panel of judges to present their research.